"What's the plural of diverticulum?"
The plural of diverticulum is diverticula.
Definition of diverticulum:
A diverticulum is a small, bulging pouch or sac that can develop in the lining of certain organs, most commonly in the digestive system. It occurs when the inner layer of the organ pushes through weak spots in the surrounding muscular wall. Diverticula can form in various organs, including the intestines, esophagus, bladder, and others. When multiple diverticula are present, they are referred to as diverticulae. In some cases, diverticula may not cause any symptoms or complications, but they can sometimes become inflamed or infected, leading to a condition called diverticulitis.
Plural of Diverticulum Example Sentences
- Single Examples:
- The doctor identified a small diverticulum during the colonoscopy examination.
- They discussed the possible complications associated with a gastric diverticulum.
- She experienced abdominal pain due to an inflamed diverticulum in her intestine.
- Plural Examples:
- Several diverticula were detected in his bladder during the medical imaging test.
- We studied the causes and treatment options for sigmoid diverticula in our anatomy class.
- The surgeon performed a procedure to remove the infected diverticula from the patient's colon.