In this blog post we look at when to use burned and when to use burnt.
"Burned" and "burnt" are both past tense forms of the verb "to burn," which means to be destroyed or damaged by fire, or to cause something to be destroyed or damaged by fire.
"Burned" is the past tense form of "to burn" that is more commonly used in American English.
"Burnt" is the past tense form of "to burn" that is more commonly used in British English.
Both "burned" and "burnt" are correct and can be used interchangeably, depending on the preferred dialect.
Remember that "burned" is more commonly used in American English, while "burnt" is more commonly used in British English. Either form can be used, depending on the preferred dialect.
Here are some examples to illustrate the difference:
The house burned down in the fire. (American English)
The house burnt down in the fire. (British English)
He burned his hand on the stove. (American English)
He burnt his hand on the stove. (British English)
The house burned down in the fire and the family lost everything.
He burned his hand on the stove and had to go to the hospital.
She burned the cookies in the oven and had to start over.
They burned the midnight oil studying for exams.
He burned the toast and had to start over.
She burned her hand on the hot pan and had to run it under cold water.
They burned the candles on their anniversary dinner.
He burned his arm on the grill while cooking burgers.
She burned the steak and had to cook it for longer.
They burned the campfire and sat around it telling stories.
The fireworks display burnt brightly in the night sky.
He burnt the letter after reading it to ensure that it couldn't be used against him.
She burnt the incense to purify the space.
They burnt the midnight oil preparing for their presentation.
He burnt the images into his memory so he could recall them easily.
She burnt the midnight oil completing her project.
They burnt the brush pile to clear the area for a new garden.
He burnt the roast and had to throw it away.
She burnt her hand on the hot pan and had to wrap it in a bandage.
They burnt the trash in a metal drum to dispose of it safely.